A Portrait of the Max-Planck-Institute für Kohlenforschung
The Max-Planck-Institut für Kohlenforschung, founded in 1912 as the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute für Kohlenforschung (see history) is a foundation of private law controlled by a Board of Directors and integrated, as one of the 86 institutes, in the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft. It pursues basic research in all fields of catalysis. The central theme of all Departments is basic research in the catalytic transformation of compounds and materials with the highest degree of chemo-, regio- and stereoselectivity under conditions which maximize efficient use of natural resources.
Researchers at the institute perform basic research in the fields of organic and organometallic chemistry, homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysis, as well as in theoretical chemistry. Five departments, each one headed by one scientific director, form the scientific backbone of the institute. The research departments are supported by service groups that provide state of the art analytics, efficient IT, and excellent hardware from specialized workshops.
About 50 % of the more than 350 employees of the institute are diploma and PhD students or Post-Docs. In addition, the institute educates about see career and apprentice program).in various disciplines (
The Institute undergoes regular evaluations by a Scientific Advisory Board.
The patents and licenses of the Institute are administered by SGK (Studiengesellschaft Kohle).
You download our Institutes' flyer here.